This set took 2 weeks to put together. Last week I posted the first half of the build, which laid out the broad strokes. This week it’s all about the details. When it comes to materials, there’s really nothing to it; foam core, Styrofoam, cardboard, balsa, dowel, glue and paint. For the stove, I shaped some Styrofoam then glued 3 separate printed images for the door, stove top and control panel over the foam. I made upper and lower door handles from balsa and glued them in place, then applied a glossy acrylic clear coat to give it some shine. I followed the same procedure for the microwave and range hood. The props are mostly holdovers from FROM HELL HE RIDES with some paint touch ups, although the tool box, curtains and carpets are new. A couple of minor adjustments still need to be made but for the most part this set is camera ready.


The puppets for IT CAME FROM BEYOND THE DRAIN won’t be ready for camera until sometime in late May or early June but that doesn’t mean the sets can’t start going up. I made a very conscious decision with this film to write something less epic. FROM HELL HE RIDES was incredibly labour intensive with regards to the sets and I wasn’t going to put myself through that again. This first set is for a standalone scene that opens the film and is proving to be a nice way to ease myself back into the building process.


I spend most of my time either in the workshop or at the animation table but for the past month I’ve been chained to my desk, working on storyboards, cutting the animatic, recording voices and laying out the production/shooting schedule for how I plan to attack this film. I now know that IT CAME FROM BEYOND THE DRAIN will run 9 min. 30 sec., that there are 4 major sets and a couple of minor ones, and that there will be about 300 shots. The logistics that go into making a film like this can’t be left to chance.  It’s certainly not as interesting as building stuff but the work I put in now will keep me from losing my sanity 6 months down the line.